Saturday, February 7, 2009

Our Little Hobby

This past summer I taught Bridget the 50 United States in alphabetical order. I told her about living in Washington state, and how we are very close to Oregon, and that she has relatives in Utah and Nevada, and that her Nona and Papa are from Mississippi and Virginia. I pointed out the Washington and Oregon license plates and she said she wanted to see license plates from all the fifty states. So from that day on we have been "collecting" license plates. I keep a list in my car and every time we see a new state we add it to the list. On the few occasions that I have my camera and we see a car parked, I will actually get out to take a picture. In 6 months we have been able to collect 38 states. I would say over half have been spotted solely by Bridget. She has a great eye. She can spot a license plate from 50 yards away! LOL. It's also kind of neat to see all that she is learning. She is at the beginning stages of learning to read, and yet she knows how to read the names of the states pretty well. Tonight in the parking lot of Patrick's soccer game she said, "look mom, there's Idaho....but we already have that." I never told her it was Idaho; she just knew it on her own. So fun.






(South Carolina)


(South Dakota)





3 comments:

Tamsen said...

I've taught my kids the 50 states song too. Ethan and Maura love it! (Braeden doesn't love it that Ethan and Maura love it. Reminiscences of family trips when we were younger and we'd bug Kevin by singing.)

Fun hobby!

Russ and Suzanne Ballard said...

Wish I could find those last few NE States for her! She's so cute w/it. We've played her 50 states song from our Christmas CD over and over! We love it!! Love, mom

kristenhcubed said...

That's great that she's so into the game, even when you are not on a road trip. I love license plate games! When we go on long trips I'm always the meanie that makes the kids turn off the DVD player and look at license plates. Someday they'll get it.