Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Babies are Resilient!

Well, Avery's procedure is over with and we are home! Everything went really well with the exception of a small hitch before the surgery began. I had scheduled the surgery with one dentist who answered all my questions and agreed that I could be in with Avery to help comfort her since she would be awake and not knocked out. But he was not the one who would be performing the procedure so when I arrived this morning of course the other dentist absolutely refused to budge on keeping me out. WELL...for any of you that know me, I happen to be quite stubborn myself, so it was a real battle of wills, and in the end we were able to come to a compromise. I would be with her to comfort while they were strapping her down and administering the NO2, but I agreed to stand in the doorway while the actual work was being done so that I was "out of the way and not a distraction" to him. I have to admit, it's hard for a mommy to hear your little one screaming and scared and calling out to you. Afterward, she was definitely happy to be back in my arms. And I was relieved to see how quickly she calmed down. Only hours later, she is back to her active, happy self; just a little more tired and needing a few more snuggles.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Pictures Pictures I want to see some pictures of her new gums! :) I hear ya about the struggle--I know I would be just as stubborn as you if I had to deal with the same thing! Good for you. The compromise sounded good. I'll bet you're glad it's DONE!!! :)

Russ and Suzanne Ballard said...

So glad it is over and can't wait to see photos. Loved hearing Avery's voice on the phone today and talking to you also. Good for you for standing up to the dentist! Bravo! How about a post on your 1/2 marathon next? Love you. mom

Susanne said...

I'm so glad that everything went okay. That must have been so hard to hear her cry like that! I have a hard enough time with just bringing the kids to the doctor for their shots.

Tamsen said...

Good for you, Em. We're so glad she is ok!

The Hammond Holler! said...

YEAAAAA for Avery! Im so glad it went ok and that she doesn't hate you for leaving her that short little bit. Good for you for fighting to be in there. I think that's absolutly in sane that parents aren't allowed to be right by there child's side during something like that?!?