Friday, February 12, 2010

"Gingerbread" Valentine Houses

Making Gingerbread houses at Valentine's Day rather than at Christmastime is a childhood tradition of mine. This is the first year I've implemented this tradition with my children, and we had a blast! Here is a picture of our loot (decorations).



Getting started....we used the graham cracker boxes as a frame for our houses to eliminate the possibility of collapse. :)
Poor Finley not able to join in on the fun.









A very proud Bridget with her Valentine house.


Mine and Patrick's house.
Avery's


Then Patrick told her to smile bigger and this is what she gave us....


And then Avery told us she was tired; (by this time it was after 8pm) but Bridget was still enthusiastic.



The back of Avery's house....


6 comments:

The Hammond Holler! said...

What a cute idea! I love my Christmas gingerbread houses but I just might have to "add" another family tradition and make them for Valentines as well!

Russ and Suzanne Ballard said...

Glad you are doing that tradition now. So much more fun at Valentines when there are less things to do or look forward to. I'm impressed with the houses! Bridget really has a knack for artistry!! Good job, Bridget! Great house, Avery! Loved it. Love you guys. G'ma

kristenhcubed said...

Very cute, what a fun tradition. Also a great idea to do it at Valentines day instead of Christmas in the midst of all that craziness.

Tamsen said...

Mmmm, candy. Looks so good. Love the houses--you guys did great!

The Halls said...

looks like so much fun (not to mention YUMMY!) We will have to be copycats :)

Janabanana said...

I'm just catching up. I know I don't comment much. Adorable houses! So much fun. I have to ask, though. Em, how do you look so awesome when you're just hanging out at home? If the picture was taken of me after this there would be no makeup, hair in a pony and I'd likely be in pjs.

Love you guys.